The 35th annual Lum & Abner Festival is June 1-2 at Janssen Park in Mena. Many are probably familiar with the Lum and Abner name. Chester “Chet” Lauck and Norris “Tuffy” Geoff of Mena created Lum and Abner in 1931. Their radio broadcasts of the ‘30s and ‘40s were among the most popular on the air and they were the first network program broadcast from Radio City in New York in 1933. Their career also spanned movies and television.
The show was based on small town life and was set in the Jot ‘Em Down Store (which reflected country stores across the nation) in a fictional town called Pine Ridge. In 1936, the citizens of Waters (the town the show was based on) officially changed the town’s name to Pine Ridge in honor of the duo.
The Lum and Abner Museum and Jot ‘Em Down Store is located in Pine Ridge on the side of Ark. 88. The museum opened in the 1970s and is now on the National Register of Historic Places. For more details call 479-394-8355.