Page Tools

Skip Navigation LinksHome » Things To Do » Attractions » Attraction Detail Trip Planner

Fort Curtis

Delta Region
Calculate Trip
Save to foursquare
Overview:
Reproduction of the Union Civil War fort in historic downtown Helena; a part of Helena’s Civil War multi-faceted heritage that includes Federal occupation, seven Confederate generals, and an encampment of thousands of freed slaves. In August 1862 the Union forces occupying Helena erected a redoubt of earth and timbers to serve as the key to the city's defenses. Fort Curtis, named for the Union general in command, was one of five fortified positions which enabled Union soldiers to repulse a Confederate attack on July 4, 1863, designed to recapture the city and relieve the siege at Vicksburg. On the day of the attack 4,129 Union officers and men, under Gen. Prentiss, were positioned in and around the fort against 7,646 Confederate troops under General Holmes.

Address:

Fort Curtis
350 Columbia
Helena-West Helena, AR 72342

GPS: N34.5253720 W90.5912016