Bathhouse Row in
Hot Springs National Park, described as “the grandest collection of
bathhouses of their kind in the nation,” is a National Historic Landmark
District with structures dating to the late 1800s. Eight bathhouses make up the
Row including the Buckstaff Bathhouse, which has operated continuously since
1912. It is the only bathhouse on the Row that has never closed and it still
offers the traditional spa treatment.
Designed by Frank W. Gibb and Company, Architects the Buckstaff Bathhouse
includes 27,000 square feet on three main floors. Classical in design, it
highlights the Edwardian style of classically designed buildings popular during
the first decade of the 20th century. Because it has been in continuous
operation since it opened, it is the only traditional bathing facility
preserved of all the bathhouses, but it has undergone many changes over the
years. Colorado marble is used throughout the interior, particularly in the
bath halls. All levels can be accessed by stairs or the building’s original
elevator, and the ornate interior is reminiscent of the Golden Age of Bathing.
Buckstaff Baths operates under a contract with the National Park Service,
Department of the Interior. For more details visit
buckstaffbaths.com or call 501-623-2308.