Jill M. Rohrbach
There’s no other town in Arkansas that can transport us into the setting of the classic movie “A Christmas Carol” like Eureka Springs
can with its Victorian architecture and holiday décor.
With the added bonus of the evens it offers in December, a trip to Eureka Springs will certainly get you in the Christmas spirit. Here’s a list of reasons to head to this cozy hamlet this holiday season.
1. Eureka Springs Discount Card – Participating merchants and restaurants have discounts for card carrying shoppers this season. Take advantage of extraordinary savings by presenting your Discount Card throughout the holiday season. Cards available now at area businesses. Eureka is a fun place to shop any time of year.
2. Christmas Shows – Ongoing throughout the month of December are Christmas shows at The Great Passion Play, the Ozark Mountain Hoe-Down, and the Pine Mountain Theater. The Queen Anne Mansion also offers holiday candlelight tours. The free drive-through Christmas lighting display is open nightly at The Great Passion Play through Dec. 31.
3. The Win a Window Contest – Play for a chance to win all of your Christmas presents courtesy of Eureka Springs merchants. Everything in the display window can be yours. The contest window is located across from the courthouse on Main Street. Come closest to guessing its actual retail value and you win all the prizes in the window. Contest ends Dec. 13.
4. Christmas Forest – The garden area atop Crescent Mountain is illuminated with more than two-dozen Christmas trees decorated by local charities as a fundraiser for each. Visitors can stroll through the grounds now through Dec. 31 and choose which one they think is best! Admission is free.
6. Music Concerts – The Ozarks Chorale performance will be at 7 p.m. on Dec. 11 in The Auditorium, located downtown. Enjoy the Eureka Springs Home for the Holidays concert at The Auditorium on Dec. 17.
7. 4th annual Sweet Treats Cookie Tour – A self-guided tour on Dec. 11 of 12 Bed and Breakfast Inns serving yummy sweet treats, each with recipes to add to your collection. Sponsored by the Alliance of Better Bed and Breakfasts.
8. Second Saturday Gallery Stroll – The city’s art galleries have joined forces to stage a “Celebration of the Art of Eureka” from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Dec. 11.
9. Saturday’s with Santa in the Park – From 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on Dec. 11 and 18 in Basin Spring Park, families, pets, brides and kids can have their picture taken with Santa.
10. Ballroom Blitz – On Dec. 31, the Barefoot Ballroom comes alive as the 1905 Basin Park Hotel hosts this city’s annual countdown to the New Year. Live band, party favors, great snacks and a champagne toast await revelers for this once-a-year tradition. Reservations suggested.