The exhibit opening begins at 10:30 a.m. and features speakers Curtis Arnold and Dewitt Yingling.
The Des Arc Rangers were formed in Des Arc in April 1861. The 1st Mounted Rifles organized in Little Rock on June 16, 1861, under the command of Col. Thomas J. Churchill. The group fought in the battles at Pea Ridge, Richmond, Atlanta, Franklin, Nashville, and Chickamauga, among others.
According to the April 5, 1861, community newspaper, The Constitutional Union, “the uniform adopted by the Rangers is a red flannel shirt, with a deep blue breast and back, blue cuffs and black velvet collar, with three rows of brass buttons in front; black pants, with red stripes up the sides; United States cavalry fatigue cap, with ostrich plume, with colt’s Navy repeaters and United States dragoon sabers.”
The exhibit will be on display at the museum throughout Arkansas’s Civil War Sesquicentennial. For questions or more information, contact the Lower White River Museum State Park at 870-256-3711.