View Travel Guide Request Info

Reliving the Past at Lakeport Plantation


Article follows the photos. Click on a thumbnail to view and download a high-resolution version of the image. Due to the large file size of the high-res images, they may take a few minutes to appear. You must be logged in to view the high-res images.

Lakeport Plantation Recondition
Lakeport Plantation Recondition
    Archive Photo of Lakeport Plantation
Archive Photo of Lakeport Plantation
       
 
Restoration in Progress
Restoration in Progress
    In Need of Repair
In Need of Repair
       
 
Lakeport Plantation Landscape
Lakeport Plantation Landscape
   
September 12, 2007
Dates Covered: Sept. 28, 2007

Kimberly J. Williams, travel writer
Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism


Located at the southern end of Arkansas’s Great River Road National Scenic Byway, it stands in the middle of a cotton field – the majestic two-story house that has stood the test of time. It is Lakeport Plantation, one of Arkansas’s foremost historic house sites. Following its donation to Arkansas State University in 2001 by the Sam Epstein Angel family, the house was researched and carefully restored as a museum that focuses on the people and cultures that shaped life in the Mississippi River Delta. On Sept. 28, the official grand opening for the significant structure will be held in Lake Village, allowing the house to tell its story to future generations. Although work is not yet complete, according to Project Director Dr. Ruth Hawkins, "the restoration has reached a stage whereby the house can be shared with the public as remaining work proceeds."

The all-day event is free, open to the public (although reservations are required for lunch and the reception), and will give visitors an overview of the overwhelming restoration process. Lakeport, an Arkansas State University Heritage Site, is the last remaining antebellum home on the Mississippi River in Arkansas that has not been destroyed or altered significantly. The grand opening festivities will feature discussions by those involved in the restoration, tours of the house, a plantation luncheon, a restoration demonstration and other activities highlighting the history of the house and the families that called it home.

Built for Lycurgus and Lydia Johnson in 1859, the Greek revival dwelling was home to the Johnson family until 1927. Johnson, who hailed from a prominent Kentucky family, became one of the largest cotton planters in Arkansas. Lakeport Plantation is evidence of his affluence. By the beginning of the Civil War, Johnson’s holdings numbered more than 4,000 acres of fertile Delta soil. After the war, Johnson began rebuilding his agricultural empire, aided by many who had been his former slaves.

The restoration totals nearly $6 million from grants provided by the Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council, Save America’s Treasures and the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Lakeport Plantation will give visitors the opportunity to experience life on a plantation – not only from the viewpoint of the plantation owner but also from the enslaved laborers who helped build the plantation and made it thrive. The soil at Lakeport Plantation has produced cotton since the 1830s. Planned exhibits will give visitors an understanding of the Delta agricultural experience, ranging from plantation slavery to sharecropping to agricultural mechanization and modern farming methods. "Eventually the house will feature exhibits in each room," Hawkins said. "These will focus on the lives of those who lived and worked at the Lakeport Plantation over the years, as well as the craftsmanship that went into the house and the preservation techniques utilized in saving it."

Lakeport Plantation will operate as an educational center, a museum and a resource for preservation professionals. Programming will include individualized school tours developed in line with curriculum frameworks, as well as in-service and professional training for area elementary and secondary teachers.

Lakeport Plantation is located off U.S. 82 on Ark. 142 near Lake Village. For more information on the grand opening ceremonies, call (870) 972-2803. For more information on the historic Lakeport Plantation or to plan a visit, visit their Web site at http://lakeport.astate.edu or phone (870) 265-6031.

####


Submitted by the Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism
One Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201, (501) 682-7606
E-mail: info@arkansas.com

May be used without permission. Credit line is appreciated:
"Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism"

ARKANSAS DEPARTMENT OF PARKS & TOURISM
1 Capitol Mall, 4A-900 - Little Rock, Arkansas 72201 | 1-800-872-1259 or (501) 682-7777 (V/TT)
Copyright © 2014 Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism. - Web Services by Aristotle Web Design
The Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism is in compliance with the Freedom of Information, Ar. Code Ann., 25-19-101 et seq.