Henry Awards Presented at
Governor’s Conference on Tourism
Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism
The Annual Henry Awards Banquet took place on Tuesday evening, March 6, concluding the 38th annual Arkansas Governor’s Conference on Tourism. The conference was March 4-6 in West Memphis. The Henry Awards honor individuals and organizations which have made important contributions to the state’s tourism industry in the preceding year.
Richard W. Davies, executive director of the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism, presided at the banquet and addressed more than 425 attendees concerning tourism issues in Arkansas. Miss Arkansas Kristen Glover assisted in the presentation of the awards.
The Henry Award recipients for 2011 include:
· Media Support Award: Art Meripol, Birmingham, Ala.
· Bootstrap Award: Montgomery County Arkansas Frontporch Stage, Mount Ida
· Arkansas Heritage Award: Reed’s Bridge Battlefield Preservation Society, Jacksonville
· Grand Old Classic Special Event Award: Greers Ferry Lake & Little Red River Cleanup, Heber Springs
· Outstanding Volunteer Service Award: LOViT Traildogs, Mount Ida
· Community Tourism Development Award: Let’s Paint Stuttgart, Stuttgart
· The Natural State Award: Texarkana Regional Arts & Humanities Council, Texarkana
· Tourism Special Achievement Award: Paula Miles, Jonesboro
Sandy Edwards, deputy director of museum relations, accepted the Crystal Award on behalf of Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.
The highlight of the awards ceremony was the naming of the Tourism Person of the Year, which went to Dr. Dean Kumpuris of Little Rock. Also during the ceremonies, Nancy Clark of Little Rock and Shelby Woods of Little Rock were inducted into the Tourism Hall of Fame.
The Henry Awards have been a feature of the annual Arkansas Governor’s Conference on Tourism since their debut in 1981. The awards are named for Henri de Tonti, founder of Arkansas Post in 1686 and who is often hailed as the first “Arkansas Traveler.”
For further information, contact Donna Perrin or Kristine Puckett, Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism, 1 Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201. Phone: 501-682-5240.