Fort Smith National Historic Site
301 Parker Avenue
Fort Smith, AR 72902
Go to website »
Save to foursquare
The site contains the remains of two frontier garrisons, Federal Court for the Western District of Arkansas, "Hangin' Judge" Isaac C. Parker's courtroom, reproduction of the 1886 gallows, the "Hell on the Border" jail, an overlook of the Trail of Tears; Arkansas’s 1846 Commissary; exhibits on the army at Fort Smith (1817-1871), and the federal court including deputy marshals and outlaws. The original fort is a stop on the National Trail of Tears Scenic Trail. This site was seized by Rebel troops on April 23, 1863 and then recaptured by Federal forces two years later. It was a strategic point for both sides during the Civil War.