National Cemetery

700 Government Avenue
Fayetteville, AR 72701

479-444-5051
Go to website »

Save to foursquare

Established in 1867, the first burials were the remains disinterred from local Civil War battlefields such as Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove and Elk Horn Tavern. Interments were originally made with the headstone and inscription facing the flagpole. An inspection report dated May 1871 states there were 1,210 interments in the cemetery, “the greater portion being unknown white soldiers.” When the new sections were added in the mid-20th century cemetery, the placement of headstones was altered so that the inscriptions face the interred remains. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Civil War Discovery Trail.