Rice-Upshaw House

Ark. 98
Dalton, AR 72455

870-248-4000
Go to website ยป

Save to foursquare

Constructed in 1828 and used possibly as a one-story store / loom house by Reuben Rice, who established a rural trading center in 1812. Structure features an original log partition wall, a rarity in vernacular architecture. Restored to the 1840s era when it was expanded to serve as a family dwelling house. Oldest standing private dwelling in Arkansas.. In 2005, the house was donated to the Black River Technical College and it has now been restored. Open Tuesdays through October. Contact Black River Technical College at 870-248-4189 to arrange group tours or get hours of operation.