We know exactly when the city of Alexander came into being, because on January 13, 1879, a subscriber wrote a letter to the editor of the Arkadelphia Southern Standard, which glowed with pride in the rapid growth of a thriving “little town” that started with two families just seven months earlier in 1878 and was already boasting about its 70 inhabitants.
In that short time, the little settlement, located 13 miles down the Iron Mountain Company track from Little Rock, had acquired a “drug store” and practicing physician, two other stores and a sawmill.
In the same letter, mention is made of “a worthy colony of honest, industrious German immigrants: who came down from Ohio after purchasing land.
Alexander, still thriving after more than 120 years, lies northeast of Benton. The city’s current population is 614; the land elevation is 340 feet.