The annual Henry Awards Banquet took place on Tuesday evening, March 11, concluding the 40th annual Arkansas Governor’s Conference on Tourism. The conference was March 9-11 in Rogers. The Henry Awards honor individuals and organizations which have made important contributions to the state’s tourism industry in the preceding year.
Richard W. Davies, executive director of the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism, presided at the banquet and addressed more than 550 attendees concerning tourism issues in Arkansas. Miss Arkansas 2013 Amy Crain assisted in the presentation of the awards.
The Henry Award recipients for 2013 include:
• Media Support Award: Paula Morell, North Little Rock
• Bootstrap Award: Miller’s Mud Mill, Dumas
• Arkansas Heritage Award: Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
• Grand Old Classic Special Event Award: Frisco Festival, Rogers
• Outstanding Volunteer Service Award: Twyla Gill Wright, Batesville
• Community Tourism Development Award: Fort Smith Convention and Visitors Bureau
• The Natural State Award: Grant County Museum, Sheridan
• Tourism Special Achievement Award: Andy Thomas, Russellville
The highlight of the awards ceremony was the naming of Alice Walton of Bentonville as the Tourism Person of the Year. Also during the ceremonies, Ernest and Cathy Cunningham of Helena-West Helena were inducted into the Tourism Hall of Fame.
The Henry Awards have been a feature of the annual Arkansas Governor’s Conference on Tourism since their debut in 1981. The awards are named for Henri de Tonti, founder of Arkansas Post in 1686 and who is often hailed as the first “Arkansas Traveler.”
For further information, contact Kristine Puckett or Jessica Ledbetter, Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism, 1 Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201. Phone: 501-682-5240.
Submitted by the Arkansas Department of Parks & TourismOne Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201, 501-682-7606E-mail: email@example.comMay be used without permission. Credit line is appreciated:"Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism"