What to know
Also known as the Rivervale Tunnel, this 750-foot monolithic structure was completed in 1926 as a major component of the drainage plan to prevent flooding in the area and convert the land to agricultural production. The Rivervale Inverted Siphons include eight elliptically shaped barrels under the Right Hand Chute of the Little River and its floodway. Runoff previously carried by Buffalo Creek into the Right Hand Chute was diverted under the river and carried by a drainage ditch approximately 1.7 miles into the Left Hand Chute of the Little River and then into the St. Francis River. Today this engineering and architectural marvel, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1991, continues to serve its original purpose. Located five miles north of Lepanto on State Highway 135.