Buckstaff Bathhouse Celebrates 100 Years in 2012
Bathhouse Row in Hot Springs National Park, described as “the grandest collection of
bathhouses of their kind in the nation,” is a National Historic Landmark District with structures dating to the late 1800s. Eight bathhouses make up the Row including the Buckstaff Bathhouse, which has operated continuously since 1912. It is the only bathhouse on the Row that has never closed and it still offers the traditional spa treatment.
Designed by Frank W. Gibb and Company, Architects the Buckstaff Bathhouse includes 27,000 square feet on three main floors. Classical in design, it highlights the Edwardian style of classically designed buildings popular during the first decade of the 20th century. Because it has been in continuous operation since it opened, it is the only traditional bathing facility
preserved of all the bathhouses, but it has undergone many changes over the years. Colorado marble is used throughout the interior, particularly in the bath halls. All levels can be accessed by stairs or the building’s original elevator, and the ornate interior is reminiscent of the Golden Age of Bathing. Buckstaff Baths operates under a contract with the National Park Service, Department of the Interior. For more details visit buckstaffbaths.com or call 501-623-2308.