Jefferson County Courthouse
Partially burned in 1976, the Courthouse was rebuilt around the historic center portion of the original 1856 building, reopening in 1980. The Battle of Pine Bluff Audio Tour highlights the Oct. 25, 1863, battle in which Confederate troops attacked a small Union garrison at Pine Bluff. The Union soldiers fought off the attack with the assistance of African American civilians who helped fortify the courthouse square, fight fires, and withstand a Confederate attempt to cut off Federal soldiers. An audio tour sign is adjacent to the Courthouse, or the tour can be accessed at www.arkansascivilwar150.com/civil-war-sites/audio/. The tour is part of the National Park Service’s Underground Railroad Network to Freedom.