What to know
This Driving Tour is of the Colony Center only. Interpretive markers include the school, hospital, cotton gin, cannery, administration building, commissary, cafe and shops building, community center, and colony center housing for federal workers. Driving maps are available at the Dyess Colony Visitors Center. The Dyess Colony, established in 1934, was a New Deal agricultural resettlement community under President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The federal government established a self-contained community with all the services colonist families might need for a new start in life. Though most buildings are now gone, markers at their former locations provide a glimpse of the past.