Sandwiching in History: Acme Brick
The Acme Building was designed by the firm of Eherhart, Eichenbaum, & Rauch and was constructed in 1958. That is the firm that is responsible for buildings such as Beaux-Arts Parnell Hall at Arkansas School for the Deaf (1931), the Art Moderne-styled Arkansas State Tuberculosis Sanitarium in Booneville (1938), and the original International Style St. Vincent's Hospital (1958) at the corner of University and Markham in Little Rock. The Acme Building was designed to serve as the showroom for the various products that Acme Brick had to offer. Acme stayed in the building until 1996 when they sold it to the state for offices. Various different agencies have been housed in the building since then, most recently the Arkansas Asphalt Pavement Association. However, there will never be a more appropriate occupant than Acme Brick.