Marked Tree Siphons

Marked Tree Siphons

What to know

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, these huge metal tubes, built in 1939, draw water of the St. Francis River over its levee to continue downstream. They were constructed in 1939 by the Memphis District Corps of Engineers as part of the St. Francis River Basin Flood Control Project. The uniquely engineered structures were designed to lift the flow of the St. Francis River over an earthen levee and deposit it in the river channel on the other side of the levee.
Off U.S. 63, Siphon Access (Drive On Dirt Levee Road For About Five Miles)
Marked Tree, AR 72365