What to know
Also known as the Taylor House of Hollywood Plantation, this historic home was built in 1846 for Dr. John Taylor and his wife Mary Robinson Taylor. The cypress-log house sits on the west bank of Bayou Bartholomew in Drew County near Winchester, a town named for the Taylors' hometown in Kentucky. The house was the centerpiece of Hollywood Plantation, likely named for the holly trees that thrive along the bayou, encompassing some 11,000 acres at one time. The Taylors permanently relocated to Hollywood in 1876 and occupied the house until the 1940s, when descendants started selling the surrounding land. The house and surrounding grounds were donated to the University of Arkansas at Monticello in 2012 and have been restored to their appearance in the earliest known photographs (1914). The university is using the house to train students in historic and archaeological research, museum interpretation, and administration of a heritage site, as well as other educational activities, including community projects, public history, and tourism. The Taylor House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Please note that for directions to the site, online sources use the address 184 Plantation Lane,Tillar, AR 71670. It is five miles west of Winchester, 10 miles northwest of Tillar, and 20 miles northeast of Monticello.