Green Forest

Cutting across the northern portion of Arkansas is Ark. 62 as it meanders east and west through modern cities, small towns and rural landscapes. The highway leads travelers throughout the beauty of the Ozark Mountains, and the heart of communities like Green Forest.

Located in Carroll County, Green Forest has a population of almost 3,000, and big, wide downtown streets that welcome even more. A gazebo sits in the middle of the grassy town center. Lining the downtown square are buildings filled with antique stores, café, furniture store, florist, hardware store, library and gathering places. Service businesses such as a barber, bank and accountant also populate the square. More modern stores, gas stations, churches and restaurants flank Ark. 62 on each side of the downtown. The rural nature of the town is apparent by the often crowded parking lot of the sale barn. However, New Leaf Press, a non-denominational publishing house, is located here.

A noteworthy person born in Green Forest is Helen Gurely Brown. An author, publisher and businesswoman, Brown was editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan magazine for 32 years. She married David Brown, producer of Jaws, The Sting, Cocoon, Driving Miss Daisy, and other motion pictures, in 1959. A best-selling author, she was an outspoken advocate of women's sexual freedom in the 60s.

“John Scott, a maker of sheep and cowbells, is credited with being the first settler of this area,” according to “A Pictorial Heritage of Carroll County Arkansas.” “As other emigrants began to arrive, it soon became known as Scott's Prairie. Later, John J. Grim homesteaded east of Scott's Prairie and began clearing timber from the land. He decided, however, to leave a small grove of trees for shade. Neighbors began jokingly referring to his homestead as the Green Forest. The name stuck. Although postal service was established in 1855, the city was not incorporated until 1895.”

Green Forest is about 21 miles from Eureka Springs, an artsy resort town, and about 60 miles from Fayetteville and Rogers in the northwest corner of the state.