In 1909 the Arkansas Gazette declared that Moro was destined “to be one of the leading towns of this state,” thanks to the thriving businesses that developed in support of the new railroad through the area. The prediction was not to be, however, as the town experienced numerous setbacks over the years. Influenza was rampant in the town in 1918, a 1925 fire wiped out an entire block of businesses, the Flood of 1927 devastated area farming operations and halted train operations, and the MN&A railroad declared bankruptcy and reorganized three different times. Ultimately train traffic was halted, and the rails were abandoned and torn out in the early 1950s.
Though Moro’s economy bounced back somewhat in the 1960s, peaking at 500 residents, today there are just over 200 people in the town. The town still has a number of businesses, however, along with some great duck hunting. Located about 65 miles southwest of West Memphis and about 90 miles east of Little Rock, it is the second largest town in Lee County, exceeded only by the county seat of Marianna.
Moro was the second town in the area by that name, with an earlier village established prior to the Civil War about a mile from the current location. Referred to locally as “Old Moro,” it was struck by a tornado in 1900, wiping out the entire town. It was never rebuilt and has completely vanished.