Uniquely Lower Delta
Incredible blues music and stunning oxbow lakes are just the beginning of the Lower Delta. Located adjacent to the Mississippi River, the area is rich in culture and home to artists of all types and museums that perpetuate our storied history. Sportsmen will appreciate Arkansas’ celebrated duck hunting scene and outdoor enthusiasts can also spot waterfowl and other wildlife throughout the region. Avid birders won't want to miss the annual migration of the Smith's Longspur, as they winter each year at the Stuttgart airport.
1. Lake Village is home to Lake Chicot, Arkansas’ largest natural lake and the largest oxbow in North America, the historic Lakeport Plantation, and the site of Col. Charles Lindbergh’s first night flight.
2. A little-known part of the Lower Delta’s history includes the Japanese American Internment Camps at Rohwer and Jerome, AR. Actor George Takei’s family was sent to Rohwer from their home in California. The WWII Japanese American Internment Camp Museum in McGehee tells the stories of the nearly 17,000 people who lived at the camps.
3. The Arkansas Post was established in 1686 and was the first European settlement in the lower Mississippi Valley region. The post also saw military action during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.
4. The “single deadliest shot of the Civil War” took place in the Battle of Saint Charles on June 17, 1862. Confederate soldiers attacked a large fleet of Union gunboats on the White River and hit the steam drum aboard the USS Mound City, killing nearly 150 soldiers.
5. Not only is Jones Bar-B-Que Diner in Marianna Arkansas’ first James Beard award-winning restaurant, the Southern Foodways Alliance says it’s the oldest continuously-operated, African-American restaurant in the South. Any person who enjoys good BBQ owes it a visit.
6. On the air since 1941, the Peabody Award-winning King Biscuit Time is hailed as the longest-running daily radio show in the U.S. The program was hosted by Blues Hall of Famer "Sunshine" Sonny Payne until his death in February 2018.
Cities in the Lower Delta