What to know
Ranked #1 Lodging Facility in Pocahontas on TripAdvisor!
Experience the Lesmeister Guesthouse for upscale lodging centrally located in the heart of the 17-block national historic district in downtown Pocahontas. The result of a $1 million architectural restoration, a stay here puts guests in a beautiful, rehabilitated 1902 commercial building with 21st century comforts including green practices. With no staff on site, the Lesmeister offers independent travelers a secluded place to call home.
Custom wood doors and moldings, original ornate ceilings and restored wall colors recreate the feel of life in Pocahontas during the Theodore Roosevelt administration. Our unique, opulent suites and apartments offer a restful escape that is perfect for quiet getaways, honeymoons, anniversaries and other special occasions. Each is named for people and things that played important parts in Pocahontas history:
- The Jeff Thompson Suite is on street level and is designed with an open floor plan. A large glass wall gives a full view of Marr St.
- The Lewis de Mun Suite, named for one of Pocahontas’ earliest settlers, is on two levels with the bedroom upstairs. It also features both a jet tub and separate shower.
- Named for the man who uttered the famous phrase, “Doctor Livingstone, I presume.”, the Henry Morton Stanley Suite is on two levels and features original concrete stairs from when the property was a 1902 commercial building.
- Our largest unit, the Laurel Apartment, is named for the first steamboat to make its way up the Black River to Pocahontas in 1829. It’s on three levels and is the quietest and most private option. The Laurel also features the famous Lesmeister Cistern, a marvel of early 20th century workmanship, that guests can safely view through a window in the bedroom.
- Named for another historic steamboat, the Julia Dean Apartment is on one level and has a full kitchen. Located in the storefront of the building, the apartment has a full view of Marr St.
Regardless of which unit you choose, you can pamper yourself with all the lush amenities inside. For extra ambiance, a wood-burning stove and firewood is in each apartment and a gas fireplace is in each suite.
We invite you to make yourself at home and enjoy your stay. Look for the in-room welcome booklet for all the exciting things to see and do in the area. Or, simply relax and enjoy what the Italians call “il dolce far niente,” the sweetness of doing nothing.